Renting a property can be an ideal way of:
* Avoiding the long term commitment that comes with taking on a mortgage.
* Allowing you to assess the facilities, location and desirability of an area prior to purchase.
* Giving yourself thinking space before choosing to purchase a property yourself.
* Avoiding the responsibility for maintenance and repair of the building.
* Getting accommodation quickly.
* Getting accommodation less expensively than the costs of purchasing a home.
* Providing greater flexibility when required to move elsewhere, for work or pleasure.
However, these benefits can be outweighed if:
* You cannot find accommodation of a suitable standard.
* There is no accommodation in your desired area.
* The rent charged by the landlord is unrealistically high.
* You don’t have time to scour the papers and ring round.
* You have to chase absentee landlords to conduct necessary repairs.
* You are not assured that the foam furniture complies with fire safety regulations.
* You are unsure whether or not the annual gas and electricity checks have been conducted.
* You have no guarantees about your neighbours.
* You have hassle in securing return of your deposit.
* You do not have a proper, legal agreement, setting out your rights as a tenant.
* You have arguments or stale-mate over cleaning communal areas.
These are good reasons for choosing a residential letting agency. You get:
* Peace of mind that the appropriate legislation is complied with.
* The agents knowledge of realistic market rents.
* Wide range of properties available to suit your personal requirements.
* Saves time in flat hunting.
* An agent to manage the relationship with the landlord.
* All tenants are required to provide satisfactory references, including your neighbours.
* Security of knowing repairs will be done when promised.
* Security of tenure with professionally drafted agreements.